Springtime in Fort Smith brings warmer weather and suntan glows; farmer’s markets and outside concerts; flip-flops and the first glimpses of summer vacation. However, springtime in Fort Smith can also bring many homeowners unwanted water damage caused by seasonal storms. Burst pipes, leaky roofs, and plumbing issues are additional common causes for water damage in homes and businesses. The damage you experience can range anywhere from an unexpected nuisance to a complete disaster resulting in costly destruction of your property. Regardless of its extent, water damage should never be ignored.
When it comes to water damage, thorough cleanup and restoration are a priority. Taking on water damage can be a daunting task, but not impossible. For extensive jobs, a professional restoration company might prove the best option in order to ensure that dampness does not cause further issues. Further issues might include damage to structural integrity, the growth of mold, musty odors, and hazardous air quality. The water damage restoration Fort Smith company you choose should have experience dealing with your particular type of water damage, offering a variety of cleanup methods which take care of current water damage, prevent future issues, and restore your property in a timely and cost-effective way.
If you are experiencing a water damage situation, there are some precautions and essential early steps to take:
First Step: Assess the safety of the area.
• Your safety is vital and should be a primary focus.
• Hazards include electrical currents from cords, outlets, and appliances; falling; and self-injury due to shifting heavy water-logged items.
• DON’T walk into buildings with major structural damage or sagging ceilings and/or floors! Call your insurance company and a water damage restoration Fort Smith company in these cases.
Next Step: After informing your insurance company and consulting a professional restoration service, then you can begin a cursory cleanup.
• Remove and wipe down loose items from floor and surfaces such as rugs, cushions, lamps, and nic-nacs.
• Place saturated items in a well-ventilated area to dry out.
• Remove water on surfaces by mopping, blotting, and wiping down floors, carpets, and furniture.
• Turn the air conditioner on to maximize drying out in warmer temperatures. This reduces humidity and acceleration of mold growth.
• If items have been sitting in the damp for an extended period of time (as in the case of natural disasters which might prevent owners from returning to their homes and businesses for several days), check for mold. It is best to call a professional to assess and handle mold growths which are health hazards. Building materials often absorb and hold onto dampness long after surfaces appear dry, creating an ideal breeding ground for mold. A professional water damage restoration service will ensure that the inner materials of your structure are thoroughly dried out.
Although water damage can be a stressful situation, it is not one to be ignored. Taking swift action will get the job done… getting you back enjoying that lovely spring weather!